MSN Search

Thursday, February 24, 2005

What Am I An Idiot?

(Is it wrong I'm getting bored with this topic? I have 20 other things i want to talk about, but I want to keep this series intact)

So, you've got mail. The salesman comes back with an incredible "reduced internet" pricing that is about 1k less than sticker and much higher than invoice. There are several ways to approach this. Myself, I prefer to be an ass. If you have already gotten a lower offer, let them know. If you haven't, lie. Why? because they lie to you. You ask for a solid price, and they treat you like an idiot. My reply was something like this:

"That offer is pitiful. I have already received a a better offer of [insert a price above the invoice value and below the quoted price {make it an odd #}]. If you can't do any better I will take my business elsewhere."

More than likely you'll get a matching offer or something lower. Now take this offer and send it to the other dealers. See where this is going? Get these guys to haggle between themselves and not you. Hopefully you'll get someone desperate for a sale to bite.

If you are at the dealership, you can still play the internet card. Tell the salesman you were quoted online but you don't remember the exact price. More than likely they'll start you off at this price (which you already know is weak). Feel free to tell them that the offer is far from the number you envisioned. Remember, you have the power! Feel free to use my favorite tactic "Obviously you aren't looking for a sale today" and walk away. You'd be suprised how fast that price drops.

Next installment: I'm Not Going To Pay A Lot For This Muffler!

1 Comments:

Blogger Evan said...

enough with the car buying stories

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

MSN Search