MSN Search

Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Greatest Birthday Gift Ever

So, I got the best gift ever yesterday. No, it wasn't the free tickets to the UNC game. This gift came from my County's Sheriff. Give up? I got a jury summons! That's right. Now, I know most of you are saying to yourself "self, this guy is an idiot." Well, that could be true. I however think this is a great opportunity. I'm not due until St. Patty's day, and there is a chance I won't be needed. Not only do I get to miss work, I'll get a whopping $12 for my civic duty!

Now, when I originally got the summons, I was pissed. I kept thinking of all the ways to get out of it. The best ideas I came up with was to bring a copy of the Wall Street Journal and answer questions like "they look guilty" or "I'm in favor of public execution." Surely no lawyer would want someone who is educated and have such strong viewpoints.

I then started to think of the benefits of jury duty. What if I get on a really good case? I love Law & Order, I like the judicial system and would love to get the opportunity to see it work. Now, I know the system isn't perfect, but to be a part of it would be pretty cool.

A good friend of mine had jury duty a few months ago and she was on one hell of a case. To make a long story short, it was a medical malpractice involving a young child. It was very emotional for her, and I know she was having bad dreams during and after the trial. After hearing about the trial, I would have taken the bad dreams in order to be a part of the process.

Like I said, I'm not due in court till March 17th, so if anything changes I'll be sure to post something!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MSN Search