MSN Search

Monday, February 21, 2005

Finally I Own a Car From This Decade!

So, I just bought a new car. It's my first new car purchase, and I'm
pretty excited about it. I went the safe way and bought a Honda. After
hassling a few dealers online about a Civic, I went with the Accord. Now,
I spent a lot of time researching cars, finding out how to negotiate,
figuring out the true price, etc (Thank you Edmunds). Well, I'm
pretty sure I got a good deal, and I'd like to share a few things I
learned both before and after my car. Although I'll be mentioning used
cars, this is more or less about buying from a dealer. Since I'm pressed for time this week, I'm going to split my story up. Enjoy part one!

Picture of My 2005 Honda Civic LX.

And Knowing is Half The Battle


First off, You have the power. Don't be intimidated by dealers. There is
so much information out there for potential buyers, whether it's new or
used. Only a fool walks onto a car lot without some type of knowledge
about the vehicles. Check out Edmunds, they have tons of
information about every car out there. MSRP, Invoice, even what others
are paying, they have it all. You can even compare similiar cars all on
the same page. Also check out the manufacturer's web sites. there is
usually more information you can get and you can even "build" your
vehicle. Don't forget to also check out Kelley Blue Book, and any other source of information, such as Consumer Report.

Coming up next, "Cruise Control Costs How Much?"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right about coming in armed with research.

I spent a year selling cars once at a Nissan dealership. As salesmen, we'd try to use the customer's ignorance to our advantage; get them thinking about monthly payments instead of overall price, things like that.

If they came in with Kelly Blue Book quotes, we really didn't have much leverage; we'd try to get the deal done quick, so we could move on to the next customer who might not be so informed.

Congrats on the car; you earned it ;-)

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

MSN Search