MSN Search

Thursday, February 24, 2005

I'm Not Going To Pay A Lot For This Muffler!

Now, I hope you took my advice before and did some research. What I failed to mention (at least I think so anyway) is the most important item to know upside down and inside out: Your personal finances! There are tons of sites that have calculators to help you figure out what you can afford. One of my favorites sites is bankrate.com. Their auto loan calculator does the trick. My only problem with it is the term of the loan only goes to 60 months. Either way, run through the program a few times and play with the numbers. If you already have a budget, it should be pretty simple to find out your magical monthly payment. DON'T FORGET: new cars cost more in property tax and most likely insurance, and if it's a fine German auto - higher octane gas and maintenance. Get quotes from your agent. That Audi TT would be nice, but I'd hate to pay the premiums for it, not to mention the oil change. Be sure to adjust for these variables.

**I'm transitioning the story from online buying to dealership buying since that's what I ended up doing. You can still follow this tactic, either by email or by calling the salesman.

Okay, so You know how much you can pay a month and how much car you can afford. Now, I'm almost positive your number is way below what the dealer offered. Now, if what you can afford is below invoice or close to it, let them know. Don't be scared, just tell them "This is how much I can pay for the car." You can try and offer below your threshold if you want to play the back and forth game. Myself, I just say take it or leave it. Since we don't need a car today, feel free to get up and leave. One of these days your needs and the dealer's will meet. Most of the time they'll say "let me see what I can do." And five minutes later they come back with a number well above your threshold. Comments like "Why don't you want to sell me a car?" or something of that nature is my response to these offers. "I told you this is my max, and you ignored me. I don't have time for this - goodbye." This tactic is really good especially if you are only a few hundred off the mark. Hopefully if you have been at the dealership long enough they will surrender to your stubbornness.

If at anytime you feel pressured or lost your composure, excuse yourself. Tell them you have to use the bathroom, or make a call. If you are on the phone with them, call them back. They leave you to sweat you out, so return the favor! Regain control, remember you have the power, and go back out there with the determination that you are not going to pay a lot for this muffler!

Remember, "invoice" is a deceptive term. Dealers with 30 of the same car on the lot don't pay invoice. That's like buying a box of golf balls individually instead of together. How much below invoice they get these cars for, I don't know. I do think that if you can buy a car below or at invoice, you have been a total success.

Next topic: "Oh, I forgot to tell you..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MSN Search