MSN Search

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Worst Triple Crown In Years

I'm not the biggest horse race fan out there, but it seems to me that this is the worst Triple Crown in years. The kicker of it is that it started out as being possibly the best.

The Triple Crown ends today at Belmont Stakes, where both the winners from the other two races - Preakness and Kentucky Derby, are out. Barbaro, the winner of the Kentucky Derby, suffered a life threatening injury during the Preakness and is currently recovering. Preakness winner Bernadino won't be in today's race due to "exhaustion" and is saving for the Breeder's Cup Classic at Churchill Downs.

So, for the 3rd time in 36 years, the Belmont Stakes will be run without either the Kentucky Derby or Preakness Stakes winner. Talk about crappy. I think the whole reason non-horse owning people watch these races is to see one of these horses win the Triple Crown. I don't have any stats to back this up, but I'm going to say that the Belmont Stakes has the worst ratings of all three events. That being said, I'm sure it will have better ratings than the Stanley Cup finals. Even though my beloved Carolina Hurricanes are destined for glory, they compete in a sport than has no tv viewership outside of New York and Canada. I heard they lost in the ratings to women's softball the other day. How sad is that?

Good luck to all the horses today, if I'm around the TV I might switch in time to see some rich arabian cheer for what his $70 a barrel oil hording ass can buy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MSN Search