MSN Search

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Chicago Off Broadway Review

So, one of the first things I did after getting married was buy tickets to Chicago. Now, those who know me are thinking "He's going to another Cubs game." Unfortunately, I am talking about the off broadway play, not the glorious Windy City. I figured if I took my wife across country, I might have to do some things I wouldn't do back home.

So, for a discounted price, I got some good seats for Chicago at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle. This theatre is amazing. Built in 1928, The Paramount has undergone a multi million dollar restoration. This theatre is breathtaking. They have free tours on the first Saturday of the month, and I'm planning on going in July. So, after staring at all the chandeliers and marveling at the artistic structure, we made our way to our seats.

For those who have been living under a rock, Chicago has become extremely popular due to a little movie starring Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renée Zellweger, Richard Gere, and the Queen of rap, Queen Latifah. The movie received 13 nominations and won 5 Oscars, including best picture. My wife, the former dancer, loves this movie (and several other musicals).

Anyway, back to the play. Now, I don't know many people on Broadway besides Norm from Cheers. Chicago Musical Starring JoeyI was suprised to find out that role of Billy Flynn, the slick lawyer was being played by Greg Evigan. Now, that name probably doesn't ring a bell, but he use to be on a semi popular sitcom with Paul Reiser. No, he wasn't on Mad About You, he was Joey, the cool/hip other dad from My Two Dads. I loved that show. Well, actually, I loved Staci Keanan, but anyone who watched that show knew that Joey was the coolest dad ever. Anyway, this 2 1/2 hour play just got a little better.

Now, I'll level with you, I'm not an idiot. There was a reason I chose to go see Chicago. First of all, since I had to watch the movie 48 times, I knew that the music decent. Looking at the posters, I knew the costumes were going to be barely there. All these long legged, fit, and flexible ladies are prancing around in baby dolls, lingerie, and stockings. I think I could like the fine arts. Needless to say, I didn't fall asleep during the show since the action was easy on the eyes.

Overall, the show was pretty good. The cast was amazing, the dancing was good, singing was even better, and Joey proved once again that he is kickass. The script is well written, and they did manage to drop a few "shits" "damns" and "SOB's" in there. Did I mention the Paramount also served liquor?

So the point of all this is Chicago is a win/win for everyone. Ladies, you can drag your men to this play and know they won't fall asleep, although you may have to wipe the drool from their lips. And men, if you find yourself in the doghouse or just really want to go on that trip to Vegas with the boys and don't know how to smooth it over with the woman - take her to Chicago. She'll be excited about going to a play and will see how much you care about her. This will give you the opportunity to drop the Vegas bomb on her and she can't say no (although I can't guarantee this!).

In closing, I'd like wrap up Chicago in 6 words - legs, lingerie, 2 hours, not opera.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh Huh.... Lingerie? Long Legs? Are these the same "hot dancers" you said "weren't attractive at all"? Hmm.... somebody has now undone all the good brought on by tickets to a broadway play. Gentlemen... take note. If you want to be thought of as "wonderful" and "the best ever".... don't post about the hot sexy dancers prancing around the stage in lingerie that keep you aroused... and awake...during the show... you'll end up drooling alright... drooling because your woman broke your jaw with her mean left hook!

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

MSN Search