MSN Search

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Don't Sleep With The Enemy

So, my friends wife was working at a Fortune Interactive company, cruise network. Well, this past Monday she was fired... Excuse me, she was let go because the company was "restructuring." The reason I mention Fortune Interactive is that they are a competitor of Evan's employer. Now, I don't have all of the story, but I'm able to make a pretty solid educational guess about why Fortune Interactive, excuse me, Cruise Network, dismissed Jen. It's simply because she is sleeping with the enemy.

To really understand the full spectrum of the situation, you would have to dive into the seedy, dark, and mysterious world of Seach Engine Optimization. Of course, this is pretty boring to 90% of the population so I'll skip over it. Fortune Interactive is an upstart "interactive" marketing firm that is composed of ex employees of Evan's employer. Can you see where this is heading? Any, Fortune Interactive decided that because Jen is married to Evan, she is automatically sleeping with the enemy and therefore she is the enemy. Simple logic from simple people. But it simply isn't true.

I've spent many of evenings at the Robert's household and do you know what they talk about? anything BUT work. You see, some people are able to separate business and pleasure (Fortune Interactive doesn't). They would rather spend time cooking dinner, playing with the mutts, and watching FoodTV or watching Lost and Survivor than engage in mind-numbing conversations involving Search Engine Optimization. Here is a hypothetical scenario that Fortune Interactive probably thinks happens:

Evan: "Hey Babe, how was your day?
Jen: "Great Babe. Say, Did you know Fortune Interactive has uncovered some super secret SEO tips?"
Evan: "Really Babe? Please tell so I can inform my employer that treats me so well that it would please me so to tell them about our competition."
Jen: "Well, they came up with the idea of using keywords in ad copy to really enforce the value of your site."
Evan: "BRILLIANT! Let me CC my entire company tonight! I love you Babe, keep them secrets coming!"
Jen: "You know I will. Now let me make you dinner."

Are they retarded? Who discusses work at home? Hell, my fiancee doesn't even know what I do, and I LOVE that. Why bore people with stuff like this. Anyway, I think Fortune Interactive made a huge mistake, but it has opened up the doors of opportunity for Jen that would have remained locked being stuck working at Cruise Networks.


PS - For a company owned by an SEO company, their site sucks. I've seen better geocities sites made in grade school.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preach it brotha!

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was the name of the company again?

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

MSN Search