MSN Search

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Alfonso Soriano is a Chicago Cub

A fellow Cubs sufferer sent me an email asking what I thought about the Chicago Cubs signing Alfonso Soriano. Below is my response.

I like it. Hendry has finally layed out a plan and is getting some talent. They still need pitching, but from what I read they are still going after that (and some left hand bats). Chicago Cub Alfonso SorianoSure, he's signed till he's 38 or something, but he adds some much needed pop to an outfield. cubs had 51 OF hrs last year, soriano had 48. I like it. He does strike out, and I've heard "sammy jr." but as I recall we were winning with him when he was cranking 60 hrs.

There aren't many big pitchers out their worth the asking price (zito, mulder, etc). I wouldn't mind seeing them get these 2nd and 3rd starters like Meche, Lilly, or Padilla. Their price tag should be considerably lower. My biggest concern is that they still have the same pitching coach in Larry Roth. and he has been unable to keep them healthy or find the strike zone with consistency. Maybe a change in the bullpen is needed. Maybe Lou has someone in mind.

the Cubs lineup looks solid. Possible lineup:

Soriano OF
Derosa 2B (can't find a solid 2nd batter)
Lee 1B
Ramirez 3B
Jones OF
Murton/Pagan OF possibly move soriano to center
Barrett C
Izturis SS
Pitcher

Whatever may happen, it's great to see Jim Hendry make some moves to improving on the NL's worst record. Bringing in Lou, Soriano, and hopefully some pitchers will make for some exciting seasons at Wrigley. Lou has a 3 year contract, and I'm hoping they'll do something besides get top draft picks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MSN Search