MSN Search

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Redmond Dogsitter For Hire

Those of you that have known me, know that I love dogs. Since I came to Seattle, I haven't had a dog. Ever since I was knee high to a duck, this is the longest I've ever gone without having one. Unfortunately the current place I'm at doesn't allow dogs (even though you couldn't tell with the 5 or so I see walking around daily). Next month that will change, as Ashley and I move to another apartment in September, which not only allows dogs, but big dogs. We have been dog browsing for quite some time. I really think people at the Bellevue shelter think we are nutjobs - showing up every weekend, looking at the dogs but never playing with them, then leaving empty-handed only to show up the next week. I can't blame them, it's pretty weird to always say "no thanks, just browsing."

Since we can't have a permanent dog, we've ended up dogsitting several times. It's usually Robert or Annie's dog, and it's either an in-house visit or just a stop by to feed them job. However it goes, I love it. It's like being a grandparent. I get to spend the time playing with them and having fun, and the second they crap on the floor it's "here's your dog."

Last July I was in Orlando with Annie on a big company meeting. Ashley stayed behind and puppysat for her black lab Bella. This Bella isn't to be confused with the cow back east. Bella enjoying a rideThis Bella is a lot younger, and I hate to say it, but a lot smarter. I think she is 16 weeks now, and already has a ton of commands under her collar. Well, the weekend went fine with Ashley and Annie was quite impressed in her behavior (We don't baby and spoil dogs). A few weeks ago, Annie was in a fender bender and asked us to watch Bella. It was our pleasure. We went to her apartment and brought her back to ours. Check out that picture - isn't she cute? She is a very calm and well behaved lab. We love puppysitting for her.

This week my good friend Robert and his wife Alice are off to Utah, so we gladly took in Azuki, their Shiba Inu. A lot of people haven't heard of this breed, but it is very smart, very relaxed, and a great apartment dog. Azuki has barked only twice, and that was to let me know he had taken care of some "business" on the pee pads. He's trained to use those things which is awesome. Outside his initial "marking" of our cat Sammy's bed, he's been great. He mainly just sits in his bed as seen here.

Speaking of Sammy, let's just say he's not the biggest dog fan. After one hiss, Bella wanted nothing to do with him. Azuki on the other hand lives with a Siamese and is always chasing her around. Ashley and I got a pretty good laugh hearing the sounds come out of Sammy while Azuki ran back and forth. Needless to say Sammy is beyond pissed with us. He can't take his naps because he is constantly on the watch for Azuki. I can't wait to see what happens when we get a dog of our own!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Hey! You are cut off from all Bella visits when you come back to NC! (But you can have Sasha :) Just kidding!

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but can this bella catch a frisbee? HA! didnt think so, take that 16week old dog!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Thanks for the offer, but I don't know if that will work. For starters, I don't speak dutch, so the dog wouldn't understand me. :)

You can ask me again when you arrive and I will be more than willing to meet your dog. Safe travels.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey
dont worry...the dog understands English and Danish. It is a very international dog. :-)
Actually, I love this dog, but I am in doubt if I should bring it with me or not. He is a beautiful mix of a white canadian shepherd and a samoed, but he is also big. About 70 lb.
Well, anyway if I take it with me then I will contact you when we get there. :-)

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

MSN Search