MSN Search

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Batman Begins - The Review

So, I went and saw the new Batman today. Overall I'd give it a B minus. I think the story was fairly decent as far as the origin and creation of the batman persona, but the story had some holes. Please forgive the generalization of this review, but I don't want to ruin it for those who might go see it.

Now, as far as cheesy comic book one liners go, BB had them, but was kept to a fair minimum. There weren't any memorable one liners, and that's a good thing. I still cringe everytime I think of Mr. Freeze saying "Tonight, hell freezes over!" or the other 60+ crap sayings in that movie.

As far as plot holes go, Nolan and Kane did a good job of not stepping on too many toes. The only obvious difference I found was the storyline around the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents. Like I said, I won't go in detail, but it makes sense.

There were a few awkward transitions I found during the movie. Either the entire writing staff missed it completely, or they just didn't feel like rewriting the scene and dialogue. Or maybe Ms. Katie Cruise had a Scientology clause in her contract forbidding her from reshooting scenes.

The one thing that really sucked in this movie was the fight scenes. Now, I know Gotham City is dark and gloomy, but does EVERY fight scene have to be impossible to see? Did Christian Bale not spend 6 months pre production doing Billy Blanks Boot Camp workout? I was really disappointed that the fighting was kept to a minimum and wasn't as choreographed like the newer movies.

All in all, Batman Begins is a fairly decent summer movie. Then again, after reading my review I must have a soft heart to give this a B-. Anyway, I definitely think this is a movie to check out in the theaters, just make sure you go to the early matinee. Save that cash to rent Bewitched when it comes out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MSN Search